Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Writing Tips You Can Use - Advice From Best-Selling Author Marilyn Meredith

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a F.M. Meredith is the author of the award winning Deputy Tempe Crabtree mystery series and the Rocky Bluff P.D. series, as well as many other novels. She recently wrote a blog post "Mistakes I've Seen Lately in Books I've Read" and graciously shares her thoughts here:

Saturday, February 20, 2010
Mistakes I've Seen Lately in Books I've Read

When reading a book someone wants me to review, I'm always sad when I see mistakes that the writer could have learned about at a good writing conference or in a writing class.

One problem I've seen recently is the overuse of exclamation points. Usually if the dialogue (and that's the only place an exclamation point should ever appear)is exclamatory enough, the point is not needed. I can't remember what author said it, but something to the effect that there should only be one exclamation point per book.

The use of too many dialogue tags like, he gasped, she chortled, he explained. Said or question is enough--and better still, have the character do something so that the action can be the dialogue tag.

Far too many pages of description, whether it be of a house, or a historical event.

Yes, I know Margaret Mitchell had all those pages about the Civil War in Gone With the Wind. I read Gone With the Wind about eight times, but after the first round, I skipped the description of the War. Readers are interested in what happens to the characters. If they are involved in a war or an historical happening, let the reader see what is going on through the eyes of the point-of-view character.

Those are just a couple of things I've noticed. The books I read were good, but would have been far better with the help of an editor.

Believe me, I make plenty of mistakes. Every chapter I write is heard and seen by my critique group. After I think the book is done, I make sure it is seen by someone who knows how to edit.

Still mistakes make it through, but not as many as would if I didn't have those other eyes checking for me.

If you are new to writing, take the time to read some good books on writing or attend a writers' conference or two.

I can't tell you how many writers' conferences I've been to over the years and even now, I learn at least one new thing at each one I attend.

Marilyn
http://fictionforyou.com


Note: Marilyn's newest book An Axe To Grind is now available. Check out Marilyn's Musings here http://marilynmeredith.blogspot.com .

No comments: